Do you know what's in antiperspirant that keeps you from sweating? It's aluminum. Yep that's right, the same stuff that&...

Shawna's Magic Deodorant



Do you know what's in antiperspirant that keeps you from sweating? It's aluminum. Yep that's right, the same stuff that's in your beer can is also in your deodorant. Seem weird? That's because it is. It's clogging your pours so no sweat can come out. Does that sound healthy to you? It's not, it's very bad for your body which needs to sweat to release toxins. Yes sweat stinks, I get it, I like cardio and I'm a sweater. Like shirt completely saturated if it's a little warm or if I workout hard. And I stink, not a nice, girly scent either, it's gross. When I learned about the aluminum in antiperspirant years ago I went on a mission to find a good deodorant without it. I think I tried all of the natural brands I could find and none of them worked. Every single one, my stink would just come right through at the slightest bit of warmth. I hated it. I went back to antiperspirant.

Then along comes my dear friend Shawna. She says, you can just make it yourself, it's really easy. I'm like uh huh, sure but does it work? It works really well, she says. Hmmm, I think, I'll be the judge of that. Upon seeing how easy the recipe was, we went ahead and gave it a try. I was, and still am, amazed that it worked at all. I was still skeptical until I tested it on a few runs, I mean long runs. This was last year when I was running 5-7 miles on long runs. It worked every time. No smell. Amazing. We've been using it for about a year and I've never had it fail me.

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
2-4 tablespoons coconut oil

Mix together well, using either your hands or a spoon. If you use your hands, the coconut oil will melt from your warmth. If you use a spoon, you'll need to melt the coconut oil first so you can mix everything together well. Pour into an old deodorant tube or jar while it's still soft. Put in the fridge to help it firm up.

We usually double this recipe and store the extra in the fridge so we don't have to make it very often. In the summer, or in the winter if your heater is up too high, you might want to store it in the fridge anyways because it will get pretty gooey if it gets too warm. I always keep mine in the fridge to avoid the goo.

Now if you make the switch, you will find that it takes several washings to get all your old antiperspirant out of your armpits completely. But once it's out, you'll feel the difference. You'll sweat, I mean if you're like me anyway, you'll feel moisture in your armpits and think oh crap I'm gonna stink. Stick your nose in their and take a big whiff, and you'll smell coconut oil. The only downside I've found to this, is that if you forget to wear it, you will stink very easily because your pours are nice and clean. This stuff washes off easy since it's not full of a bunch of toxic, chemical shit. So just something to keep in mind. :D

0 comments: