I don't have any updates on Sebastian yet, but while we're waiting, I thought I'd lighten up the subject and write about someth...

Healthy Desserts


I don't have any updates on Sebastian yet, but while we're waiting, I thought I'd lighten up the subject and write about something completely different, like food.

Now every parent is different when it comes to giving their kids sweets. Sebastian turns into a crazy little brat if he gets a lot of refined sugar, so we try to keep it to a minimum. I have received an amazing amount of criticism for this, with comments like, "your child needs to come to my house so he can have REAL sweets." I am not that mom that is criticizing parents for giving their kids lots of sugar...okay, at least not to their face. If your kid is always running around with a lollipop in their mouth and you're whining to me about the kid being a monster and having cavities, I'm not gonna lie, I'm laughing at you in my head. Still it catches me off guard to get criticism for trying to teach my child healthy habits. But oh well, as we know, parents are just mean to each other. ;-)

So I thought I'd share some of my "fake" sweets that I like to make. I figured if you're going to eat a bunch of sugar, it can at least come with some nutritional value. I just made this one the other night and Sebastian gobbled some up like it was a real brownie. The next night I gave it to him with a scoop of soy ice cream which totally ruined it, he ate all the ice cream and left the brownie. I can't compete with kid crack.

Ohh one more thing, in case you don't know, I had to look it up when I first bought the stuff. There is a difference between cacao powder and cocoa powder. Cacao powder is raw chocolate with nothing added to it, no sugar, no milk, so it's actually quite nutritious for you. You can find it at New Seasons or Whole Foods.

Frosted brownie (from the iPhone app Do Eat Raw)

Ingrediendients:
coconut shredded A handful
dates, pitted 2/3 cup
agave nectar 1 tablespoon
cacao powder 2/3 cup
coconut oil 2 tablespoons
Himalayan salt A pinch
cashews 1 cup

Description :
In a food processor or a blender, process the cashews until finely ground. Add the dates, 1/2 cup of cacao powder, salt and process until the dough starts sticking together. (Mine wasn't very sticky at this point so I added a few more dates and a little bit of coconut oil and processed again.) Press the brownie mixture firmly into a pan and place in the freezer for about an hour. Just before taking it out of the freezer, make the frosting by blending together the coconut oil, the agave and the remaining cacao powder (about 2-3 tbps) until smooth. Release the brownie onto a serving plate and spread on the frosting. Top with coconut flakes and serve. (I keep the leftovers in a covered container in the freezer.)


Another favorite of ours is one we made up. Sebastian named it.

Chocolate Juice

Ingredients:
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
2 tbps cacao powder
1 banana
Handful of frozen blueberries

Blend until smooth and enjoy!

2 comments: